- Get your free credit reports from annualcreditreport.com. Check your report for accounts or charges you don’t recognize.
- Consider placing a freeze. A credit freeze makes it harder for someone to open a new account in your name.
- If you decide not to place a credit freeze, at least consider placing a fraud alert.”
- File your taxes early and respond to letters from the IRS.
- Continue to monitor your credit reports.
Contact information for the three credit bureaus:
- Equifax: Equifax.com, 800-685-1111
- Experian: Experian.com, 888-397-3742
- TransUnion: Transunion.com, 888-909-8872
Leave a Reply